2011년 2월 7일 월요일

Core Concept #4 (1/10/11-2/7/11)

Core Concept # 4

P.S: SINCE I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO CHANGE MY LANGUAGE SETTING FROM KOREAN TO ENGLISH, I WILL TELL YOU WHAT TO CLICK. IN ORDER TO POST COMMENT, CLICK "0개의 답글" . AFTER YOU WRITE YOUR COMMENT, CLICK "답글 달기"

We have learned explicitly on forms of repetition.
Forms of Repetition:
l       Anaphora: Emphasizing words by repeating them at the beginnings of neighboring clauses. Ex.) “We will go to beach. We will have fun. We will go to parties”

l       Antistrophe (also known as epistrophe or epiphora): The repetition of the same word or words at the end of successive phrases, clauses or sentences. Ex.) “I went to party when I was a kid. I hated dinosaur when I was a kid. I hit my brother when I was a kid”.


l       Anadiplosis: The repetition of a word or phrase from the end of one clause or phrase at the beginning of the next cause or phrase.
l       Diacope: Repetition with only one or two words between each repeated phrase.

l       Epizeuxis: Repetition of words in immediate succession. Ex) “Horror, Horror, Horror.”

Connection: When my brother was a year old, he used to call me “Bro” exactly 6 times. No matter how hard I tried to change his speech, he still insisted calling me “Bro.Bro.Bro.Bro.Bro.Bro” It really entertained me.

l       Polysyndeton: The repetition of conjunctions in a series of coordinate words, phrases, or clauses.

l       Alliteration: The repetition of initial sounds, usually consonants.


l       Assonance: The use of smilar vowel sounds repeated in successive or proximate words containing different consonants. Ex) A city that is set on a heill cannot be hid.

l       Consonance: The repetition of consonantns or consonant patterns, especially at the end of the words.

Forms of Parallelism:
Antithesis: Establishing a clear, contrasting releationshup between two ideas by joining them together or juxtaposing them often in parallel structure.

Forms of Inversion:
l        Anastrophe: A figure of speech inversion of the ordinary Western order of words.

l        Chiasmus: Figure of speech in which 2 or more clauses are related to each other through a reversal of structures in order to make a larger point.


l        Antimetabole: The repetition of words in successive clauses, but in transposed grammatical order: Ex) I know what I like, and I like what I know”
Connections: To make my little brother mad, i often said " I hope what i love and i love what i hope". My brother always asked, "what do you love?" I just laughed and walked away



We have also talked about the values of literature. We learned that as the time goes on, the society’s values changes. For example, in medieval time, Christianity dominated the literature.

DIfferences between a novel and novella

Novel= 30,000 words or more

Novella= 30,000 words or or less

Connections: Heart of Darkness, in which we have annotated, is a novella. Harry potter #6: Half blood prince, in which i read last summer, is a novel


Things we have done in the class:
l       Write Free Response regarding the “A Barred Owl” by Richard Wilbur and “The History Teacher” by Billy Collins.
l       Discuss Heart of Darkness
l       Studied intensively on Semester one final exam
l       Psychology forum due on February 10th.
l       Evaluation on peer’s Core Concepts and Outside Readings due on February 17th.

Homework:
l        Annotate and finish reading Heart of Darkness by February 4th.
l        Annotate and finish reading Pride and Prejudice or Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by February 28th.
l        Outside Readings and Core Concepts due on February 21st.

댓글 3개:

  1. Ok... hopefully this is posting correcting because I don't speak Korean... but PASS. I would have included more about the novel, but if you needed more work with literary terms, that is fine. Good job covering those!

    답글삭제
  2. Pass.

    Good job. All your info on literary terms will make it easy to study from later.

    답글삭제
  3. Pass. Nice connections on the literary terms, that should help you greatly in remembering them.

    답글삭제